Exeter Tri Club - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotswolds Middle Distance Triathlons

Go down

Cotswolds Middle Distance Triathlons Empty Cotswolds Middle Distance Triathlons

Post  karen Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:36 am

If you want a fast, flat, scenic, low-key, friendly, well-organised Middle Distance Tri, then I'd recomment the Cotswolds 113 (June) and Classic (August) triathlons organised by www.113events.com - brilliant! Beautiful area - and only £75! Bargain!

Mike and I did the Classic yesterday. Having completed the IM 70.3 at Wimbleball in June, and actually enjoyed the distance, I thought I'd pick another, but on an 'easier' course - and what could be 'easier' than the flat Cotswolds?!

We set our alarms for 3.30am - yes that's 3.30 AM! We must be mad! Setting up transition in the dark was interesting! Start was 6am, with our wave going at 6.20 - the sun was only just rising as we were swimming! The weather couldn't have been better - although unexpected sunshine meant I had the wrong lenses in my cycle glasses! Never mind, it was ok once the sun rose higher in sky! Even got a bit burnt on my shoulders!

The lake was absolutely lovely, totally flat, clear and clean; the bike was 52 miles, fast and flat, although there was a welcome hill mid-way round the 2-lap course! The run was pancake flat, and shorter, due to flooding, so about 12 1/2 miles, and was, as usual for me, the toughest part. We didn't have any supporters, so it was really tough mentally. The volunteers were great, so I used them to chat to as I went passed and try to motivate myself to keep going. I managed to run the whole distance, just walking the aid stations to ensure I took on enough water and gels to keep going. At 11 miles a man over-took me, we chatted, and he said he was aiming to go under 6 hrs - so I stuck with him! I finished in 5hrs 56 mins - which I was thrilled about (goal was 6hrs 30) - result!

That was our last tri this season, but a great one to finish with, and one we will definitely be pencilling in for next year. See you there?!

karen
karen

Back to top Go down