Exeter Tri Club - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burgh Island Swim

5 posters

Go down

Burgh Island Swim Empty Burgh Island Swim

Post  Dave Pee Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:27 pm

The official Burgh Island Swim is on Bank Holiday Monday. This event is now full with a lorge waiting list.

However, due to the large number of disappointed people, Dave and Rob have organised an unofficial training swim around the island on Bank Holiday Sunday. This will have lifeguard cover and will be aranged so we stay in a group so those doing Monday's event can route plan, and everyone else can have a good Groccle at the cliffs.

Meet at the Bigbury Car Park at 3.45 on Sunday afternoon. If Bigbury is busy you will probably have to park in the field near the bottom of the hill and walk in. We will change in the car park (away from the sand) and plan to be in the water swimming out to the island by 4.15p.m. Camp followers can ride on the water tractor out to the island with kit so the swimmers can get out on the island, change and then dive into the Lobster for a pint.

The swim is dependant upon weather conditions. If there is a large swell the lifeguards will not expect us to go out and they will probably be busy on rescue duties saving holiday-makers. If they don't accomany us we won't be swimming round, but will probably do the first thrid of the course (where all the rocks are) as this will probably be sheltered.

Cost wil be £3.00 (most of which will be donated to the lifeguards).

Dave Pressley

Dave Pee

Back to top Go down

Burgh Island Swim Empty burgh island

Post  karen Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:18 am

That's great! Thanks, Dave. I'm definitely up for it.

Karen
karen
karen

Back to top Go down

Burgh Island Swim Empty burgh island swim

Post  karen Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:26 am

Post Dave Pee Today at 1:16 pm

After a weekend of large seas and no visibility the sun suddenly came out, the waves dropped and the event was suddenly on.

Eight Club Members camped above Bigbury from Saturday on a site with what could best be described as having "agricultural" ablutions. At times there was a view of the island, but mostly there was 12 feet of visibility.

Sunday morning was wet misty and grotty, so the bike ride was abandoned and Rob and Dave lead a 7 mile hilly off-road run up and down some of the hills on this part of the South Hams coast. After this we checked with the Lifeguards to see it the training swim round the island could be on - it wasn't - so we stayed in the cafe.

Sunday night was mainly held inside Dave's camper - 9 triathletes is now the record. Rob and Mel went home. Judith only found her tent in the mist by bumping into a campervan and then wandering down the hedge until she trod on her bed.

Monday began with the usual mist, so we went for a 5 mile run. The mist cleared and by the time we got back it was SUNNY. Lots of mobile calls to summon Rob and Mel and Nicky Q to come back.

By five o-clock and the start of the swm round the island we had about 12 swimmers, including Rebecca Scott, called Sam Jackson to take his place. Nicky Q told Ian that the start was 6.00p.m., so he saw the start from the mainland, ran across the sand and started 8 minutes late - or so he says, we think he's just a slow swimmer.

Before the start there was an Elf and Safety talk, saying that the official route was round all the rocks, and an unofficial one through several narrow gaps on the western end of the island. Rob (who came 3rd) and Dave were two of the four who navigated through all the narrow channels, saving themselves about 250 metres in the process. Mind you the trip was a bit fraught at times.

I have measured the official route at 1760 metres (and the sneaky one through the rocks at 1510 metres).

As the event is not organised in any meaningful way there are no times or results, (and nobody cares because all swimmers get a free french chef barbie afterwards) so I can't say who beat who. Rob got third finisher, Fiona first girlie home and Rebecca Scott gets hero of the day for getting round without her hair turning white. Those who were beaten by me have already acknowledged the shame of their efforts. Karen (swim Coach) was the only one who did it not encased in neoprene.

Next year the event will be held on 22nd August. I have already requested 20 places.

Dave Pressley
karen
karen

Back to top Go down

Burgh Island Swim Empty burgh island swim

Post  karen Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:34 am

Just wanted to say what a fantastic swim I had yesterday round Burgh Island, and thanks to Rob for the last minute phone call to say there was a space!

Absolutely loved the swim - first time swimming round an island! It was a beautiful location, terrific atmosphere, the sun shone (a miracle!) and the rum and bbq were very much appreciated at the end! Didn't feel cold, despite not being 'encased in neoprene'!!

A big pat on the back must go to Rebecca Scott for being very brave in difficult conditions which she was unused to. She completed the swim and should be very proud of herself. Well done, Rebecca! Very Happy

As for those who 'took the short cut' around the island ... I can only say that they missed out on the best 250 metres of the swim!

Well done everyone who took part in the swim. It was a great event! I shall definitely be signing up for next years swim - Dave please put me on the list!

I dropped an e:mail to the organisers to thank them, and this was their reply:

'Hi Karen

Thank you for writing in. We all had a ball and I’m so glad it went well; I think the slightly more challenging conditions made it a real achievement for everyone taking part.

Do sign up for next year – keep an eye on the website and note that the Race will be on 22nd August next year.

Best regards

Deborah
Burgh Island Limited'
karen
karen

Back to top Go down

Burgh Island Swim Empty Re: Burgh Island Swim

Post  Pinky Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 am

It's nice to hear that the swim eventually went ahead, and was enjoyed by all who managed to get a place. Karen is certainly becoming an open water pro - all that's needed now is a bit of cycling and running tacked on after!!

However, might it be suggested that for the sake of fairness within the club, and so that all equally get an opportunity to have a chance to take part in the future, that 'the list' takes the form of a slightly more formal and official arrangement.

An excellent suggestion was made that all those who wished to take part put £2 in a kitty, and a name in a swimming hat - these then get pulled out until the slot allocation is filled, with the kitty being donated to the life guards, or going to something needed to help the club.

This would benefit the recipients of the money (the lifeguards being more than worthy of a donation in my opinion, even of I didn't get a slot), and it would prevent the unhappiness that it has meant for some - that despite putting their names down quite a while ago, didn't appear to get a look in!!!

As this does appear to be a popular race within the club, it only seems right to share the love for it a little! I hope that people can agree.

Amanda

Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post  StuP Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:48 am

I for one agree, this race is clearly very popular and with such limited availability the 'lottery' system for allocation seems the fairest way of ensuring anyone who wants a chance to enter gets one.
StuP
StuP

Back to top Go down

Burgh Island Swim Empty burgh island

Post  karen Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi Amanda

I'm certainly no 'pro'!!! But I do have the bug! I'm not at all competitive, so races like Burgh Island and Topsham to Turf were just up my street (or should that be river)! As for running and cycling, hmmmm, have to give that some thought! I do get on my bike, but only to go down hill, then walk back up again! LOL!

I do hope you're not offended that I swam. It was very last minute and it completely slipped my mind that you had wanted to take part Sad

You are quite right, it's a very popular swim. It is meant to be a fun event, so the organisation etc is rather 'relaxed' to say the least! The course was not 'marked' and at times it was difficult to determine the best route. I took the safe option and just followed the crowd and stayed very wide!! Probably swam about 1 1/2 miles in the end!!!

I'm more than happy to pay a few quid in future, and then have names picked from a hat, if that is what people want. Or maybe the Club could get more places allocated for us if more than 20 wish to swim? Those that don't get in on the Club places can always apply direct via the Burgh Hotel (if they are informed early enough).

Karenx
karen
karen

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinky Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:15 pm

No Karen!! Please don't take any personal offence to my posting.

I actually think, for such reasons as you've given, that it is a really good opportunity for those less experienced in open water and mass starts to have a go at it, in informal - yet still 'race conditions'.
It may mean some will go on and have a go at an open water triathlon, when previously they might have stuck to the pool.
For others it's a chance, in less formal race conditions, to go and try and beat a fellow team mate they have been training with all year ..... (They shall remain nameless - but they know who they are!! lol! )

I wanted to post a view as I have not by any means been the only one slightly disappointed.... and feel its always more beneficial to get these things out in the open.

The club is growing, with open water swimming numbers at Tiegnmouth increasing every year i've been going.

For these reasons - and probably many others I have not even considered, it would be nice to get something organised for the future that provides an open and fair opportunity for all regarding spaces offered to the tri club.

I open this up for discussion - as that's what a forum is for afterall!!

Pinky

Back to top Go down

Burgh Island Swim Empty burgh pics

Post  karen Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:31 am

Has anyone got any photos of the Burgh Island swim? If so, could you e:mail me copies please?

I have one from the Western Morning News, which shows Nicky Q, Sue S, 1/2 of me!, and top of Becky's head! E:mail me if you'd like a copy! (When it went in the paper, Sue and I got cropped! Cheek!)

Karenx
mkbjb.gutans@virgin.net
karen
karen

Back to top Go down

Burgh Island Swim Empty Burgh island swim places

Post  Catherine Hilton Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:10 am

Maybe club places for this swim should be allocated ( if over subscribed ) to those members who have marshalled and helped out at a club event or helped with the club in some shape or form ( coaches included of course) ... Commitee members could decide if there are more people who want to do it , than we have places for, a bit like Road runners do with the club London marathon places they have.
Just a thought..... and another way to entice people to help!

Catherine Hilton

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum