Exeter Tri Club - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sea swim 31st August??

3 posters

Go down

Sea swim 31st August?? Empty Sea swim 31st August??

Post  Kate Philp Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:18 am

What happened? I thought if swims were cancelled it would be posted on the forum, which I checked this morning. 2 of us wasted a journey (and more importantly bank Holiday drinking time!)
I wasn't there last week as I was on holiday.

Question
Kate Philp
Kate Philp

Back to top Go down

Sea swim 31st August?? Empty bank holiday at teignmouth

Post  karen Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi Kate

Sorry to hear you had a wasted journey.

I put a post up about Bank Holiday swimming at M/moor, plus a little ps re: no sea swim as it was the Burgh Island swim, and sometimes pool swimmers do the sea swim at teignmouth instead on bank hols.

But you're right, someone from the sea swim should have made sure you all knew. You're hardly likely to notice my little ps as it was under m/moor swimming. Sad

Karenx
karen
karen

Back to top Go down

Sea swim 31st August?? Empty Re: Sea swim 31st August??

Post  Dave Pee Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:16 pm

After a weekend of large seas and no visibility the sun suddenly came out, the waves dropped and the event was suddenly on.

Eight Club Members camped above Bigbury from Saturday on a site with what could best be described as having "agricultural" ablutions. At times there was a view of the island, but mostly there was 12 feet of visibility.

Saturday morning was wet misty and grotty, so the bike ride was abandoned and Rob and Dave lead a 7 mile hilly off-road run up and down some of the hills on this part of the South Hams coast. After this we checked with the Lifeguards to see it the training swim round the island could be on - it wasn't - so we stayed in the cafe.

Saturday night was mainly held inside Dave's camper - 9 triathletes is now the record. Rob and Mel went home. Judith only found her tent in the mist by bumping into a campervan and then wandering down the hedge until she trod on her bed.

Sunday began with the usually mist, so we went for a 5 mile run. The mist cleared and by the time we got back it was SUNNY. Lots of mobile calls to summon Rob and Mel andl Nicky Q to come back.

By five o-clock and the start of the swm round the island we had about 12 swimmers, including Rebecca Scott, called Sam Jackson to take his place. Nicky Q told Ian that the start was 6.00p.m., so he say the start form the mainland, ran across the sand and started 8 minutes late - or so he says, we think he's just a slow swimmer.

Befor ethe strat tere was an Elf and Safety talk, saying that the official route was round all the rocks, and an unofficial one through several narrow gaps on the western end of the island. Rob (who came 3rd) and Dave were two of the four who navigated through all the narrow channels, saving themselves about 250 metres in the process. Mind you ithe trip was a bit fraught at times.

I have measured the official route at 1760 metres (and the sneaky one through the rocks at 1510 metres).

As the event is not organised in any meaningful way there are no times or results, (and nobody cares because all swimmers get a free french chef barbie afterwards) so I can't say who beat who. Rob got third finisher, Fiona first girlie home and Rebecca Scott gets hero of the day for getting round without her hair turning white. Those who were beaten by me have already acknowledged the shame of their efforts. Karen (swim Coach) was theonly one who did it not encased in neoprene.

Next year the event will be held on 22nd August. I have already requested 20 pleces.

Dave Pressley

Dave Pee

Back to top Go down

Sea swim 31st August?? Empty burgh island

Post  karen Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:55 pm

Hi Dave

I've re-posted your report under the Burgh Island heading as it applies more to that I thought.

Hope that's ok.

Karenx
karen
karen

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Philp Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:27 am

Glad Burgh Island went well, I ended up drinking beer and watching 'Run Fat Boy Run'. alien
Kate Philp
Kate Philp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down