Exeter Tri Club - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burgh Island Swim

3 posters

Go down

Burgh Island Swim Empty Burgh Island Swim

Post  Pinky Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:26 am

The Burgh Island swim was well represented by Exeter Tri club on Sunday. The weather was not so good - with heavy rain by the end, which was possibly far worse for our loyal spectators than us swimmers! with little shelter on offer for them.

At the race brief we were warned of 3ft swell around the back of the Island - I'm not sure how everyone else found that? Maybe some more of those that took part can share their experiences on here! And despite being told he was about, and looking really hard, I didn't manage to spot 'Sammy the Seal'!

I swam from the off next to my training partner Gavin in the amateur wave, after a few minutes we had broken away from the main field and found ourselves in a small group of 5-6. We worked hard to maintain the pace, and were pleased with our finish positions. Gavin took 4th place overall, I took 2nd place overall - and also won the female competition. (Nice medal and t-shirt Very Happy ). My time was 25:08, Gavin just a few seconds after me. First to 4th placings were really closely contested Twisted Evil . But it was a good clean competition, with no open water dirty tactics going on, and fun evening out in the water.

Pinky

Back to top Go down

Burgh Island Swim Empty Re: Burgh Island Swim

Post  karen Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:51 am

Next year's race is on Sunday 14 August.

E:mail reception@burghisland.com for application form.

Karen
karen
karen

Back to top Go down

Post  karen Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:56 am

Well done, Amanda Very Happy . Where did you find the results?

Karenx
karen
karen

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinky Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:08 am

Hi Karen

I don't think they publish the results anywhere as its an informal type of race. As I came over the line there were 2 organisers, they told us our placings and took note of our names and times. I think they only did this to record who the first 3 were for the prizes - or medal winner had the first female come outside of the top 3. I know Gavin came 4th because I saw him come out the water, with the guy from Plymouth getting 3rd place between us, and I know who came first overall because he introduced himself after when we were having photos taken by his wife.

Amanda

Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post  karen Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:08 am

Got the results -

''Burgh Island
“Round the Island” Race
22nd August 2010

AND THE WINNERS WERE:

Canoe: 1. Chris Jones - 11 min, 12 sec
2. Neil Barker - 14 min, 5 sec

Expert Swim: 1. Ian Hughes - 22mins
2. John Parker - 22mins, 24 sec
3. Ivan Burton - 23 min, 8 sec
Fastest Woman: Gabrielle Longrigg - 26 min

Amateur Swim: 1. Dane Vanstone - 24 in, 28 sec
2. Gavin Priest – 25 min, 8 sec
Fastest Woman 3. Amanda Dean – 28 min 12 sec

The 3 foot swell on the back of the Island and the attentions of Sammy the Seal made the going challenging for the swimmers this year. Also, the tide was higher than in recent years so that the course was, correspondingly, longer.

Thank you to everyone who took part''
karen
karen

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinky Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:25 pm

Hmmmmmm well those results are most definately wrong i'm afraid - I beat Gavin Preist..... He came in behind me, and my time was much faster than that - I know - cause I timed it!!!!!! I was the 25:08 that they have put Gavin Priest at!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not very happy about that..... Might have to e-mail them....... Evil or Very Mad

Pinky

Back to top Go down

Burgh Island Swim Empty Burch Island

Post  Dave Pee Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:34 pm

All this talk about prizes and fast times. A few of us went the proper way - through the rocks - much more fun (and 250 metres shorter). Cool

Dave Pee

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinky Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:15 am

Well I'm not sure how many people I know that would be very happy about seeing their hard earned 2nd place and corresponding time given to someone who finished after them..... and then OVER 3 minutes added to their own!!!

Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum