Exeter Tri Club - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newquay standard distance

3 posters

Go down

Newquay standard distance Empty Newquay standard distance

Post  SPrice Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:39 pm

Has anyone competed in the Newquay standard distance before? I get the impression that it has had some problems in the past, largely due to the organisation. VOTWO have taken over this year so it should be better however at 40 quid it needs to be!

Steve

P.S. I'll put up a Bolton ironman report soon. Word of caution - I suggest you talk to me or someone who's done it this year before signing up for 2010.

SPrice

Back to top Go down

Newquay standard distance Empty Newquay Triathlon

Post  Ged Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:17 am

Steve,
Did this one back in 2004, remember it well as it rained continually throughout!
Can't remember anything particularly horrible about the event, apart from the T1 & T2 where separate which always adds a bit more stress to the event having to make sure everything's in the right place etc.
If you've ever done Swanage you won't have any probs with this one.
And like you say it's now got different organiser so hopefully any previous problems will have been sorted! Very Happy
Ged
Ged

Back to top Go down

Newquay standard distance Empty Re: Newquay standard distance

Post  Catherine Hilton Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:46 pm

Yes, i did this race in 2003 as well , but it was somewhere in between sprint and olympic from what I remember and a split transition too.
Swim was fine , in Towan bay so nice and flat and sheltered.
Then you had about 100 steps to climb to the transition , which was a real bugger! Can't remember anything about the bike apart from it being out and back. The run was fine, but short as I remember being chuffed with my run time until someone told me it was 1k short!
Worth a race though even to tell us all whether its one to put on the list for next time.
Well done Steve for Ironman UK.... heard mixed reports about it so look forward to your report.
I'll get round to writing a report for ROTH too at some point...In summary...
Was a fantastic experience , great course, great organisation , amazing atmosphere and Erdinger Beer are one of the main sponsors so there was free beer all weekend too... ( Alcohol free mind!) Anyone wanting to do an Ironman and not fussed about having the Ironman franchise attached, then thats the race!
Catherine

Catherine Hilton

Back to top Go down

Newquay standard distance Empty Re: Newquay standard distance

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down