Exeter Tri Club - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IM Austria 70.3

3 posters

Go down

IM Austria 70.3 Empty IM Austria 70.3

Post  Pinky Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:35 am

Whilst I'm recommending events, thought I'd just add another!

On May 30th I took part in Ironman St Polten 70.3, which was so much fun I'm going to do it all again next year! It must be good if I don't even need time to think about it! Very Happy

The registration process was a bit confusing with extra form filling to do on the day, made more difficult by me having to rely on GCSE German (thank goodness I paid attention!), but people were quite happy to partake in a little sign language until the correct outcome was acheived.

The organisers put on a tour coach on the Saturday morning to drive people around the bike course, although it was mostly led by the guide in German, my eyes told me what I needed to know - and this was that the notorious hill was indeed 5 miles.... And that the other so called flat bits were not necessarily so flat, they just were in comparison to a certain 5 mile hill.... The only other climbs were comparable to Mamhead, just maybe a little longer in parts.

They did a race briefing in English which was extremly comprehensive and the guys that took it made themselves available to take questions after.

It was worth allowing some time to walk around both tranisitions and get aquainted with the layout, with 3000 competitors if you didn't memorise where your transition bags were on the hangers and where you'd left your bike you stood no chance on the morning! A bike tranisition with 3000 bikes has to be seen to be truly appreciated! Lucikly for me I was just near the pro bikes, which meant I just needed to look for the empty racks on the morning!

You've got to like running in this race because you do a bit extra than most other 70.3's I've done.... with 900 meters in one lake, then a couple of minutes jog over a bridge before jumping in for another 900 meters. A run to transition, change, then a REALLY long run (in my case past about 2750 bikes) to get your bike - at least I was closer to the mount line at this point! The bike course was really well supported by all the locals, you go through several villages. In one village they had the Church bells ringing for us! (- sounds cheesy, but at the time very cool.)

A quick whizz round the 1 lap bike circuit, some amazing views! I had a long long hill to take take them all in, I wasn't moving too fast at this point tongue ....on to some speedy downhills. Then back for a gentle jog along the canal banks...

During the run you pass through the athletics stadium 3 times - OH MY GOD!!! the noise is phenomenal!! The stadium was packed with hundreds of people cheering, banging boards, blowing whistles etc, which on the first time in you just are not expecting. This made the atmosphere the best race I've ever done (including my full Ironman!). At the finish I even had the pro's finishers tape held up for me to run through.... priceless.

I completed this race in 5 hours and 48 minutes, and can't wait to do it all again next year! Very Happy

P.S. - Great medal too!

Pinky

Back to top Go down

IM Austria 70.3 Empty Re: IM Austria 70.3

Post  karen Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:27 am

Fantastic! Well done, Amanda! Very Happy

Kx
karen
karen

Back to top Go down

IM Austria 70.3 Empty 70.3 Racing abroad

Post  Ged Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:10 am

The atmosphere racing abroad is a completely different to the UK, must be something to do with us Brits being a little bit reserved (well some of us!!) Shocked Great result on a tough course.
Ged
Ged

Back to top Go down

IM Austria 70.3 Empty Re: IM Austria 70.3

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down