Exeter Tri Club - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tri-topia prize 2012

Go down

Tri-topia prize 2012 Empty Tri-topia prize 2012

Post  karen Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:44 am

Tri-topia Triathlon Training Holiday , 4-11 August 2012

At Exe Valley Tri in May this year, Mike was lucky enough to win a triathlon training holiday at Tri-topia, in France. We were thrilled as it had been highly recommended to us by triathlete, Neil Castree, and we’d been planning on visiting for some time.

At 1pm on Friday 3rd August, Mike and I walked down to Crediton railway station to start our journey to Tri-topia, France. We would arrive on Saturday at 6pm, following an overnight stay in London, and an early start on the Eurostar to Paris, then train to Poitiers where we were collected and driven to Tri-topia.

The long journey was worth it. Tri-topia is advertised as a home-from-home training holiday, and it certainly lives up to its name. Owners Lee and Sam and their family - three children and extended relatives - are a great team, and work hard to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Newest arrival to the family was baby Sennen, born early Saturday morning, 4th August. This left Lee in charge until Tuesday when Sam returned.

Lee is an excellent cook and all meals and wine are included, and special diets can be catered for. Afternoon tea and cake were provided by Lee’s mum, or cousin, Bryony, and were most welcome after a long day cycling. Accommodation is in beautifully restored gites and is very comfortable. Meals are eaten in the covered patio area, and there is a communal lounge with English TV available (ideal for keeping up-to-date with the Olympics!), plus small kitchen area.

We had our own training plan, but were flexible. Lee will offer advise on best cycle routes and distances, and provide maps and directions. We hired bikes from Tri-topia when we got there. The roads are absolute bliss to cycle on – hardly any traffic, and very accommodating to cyclists. Roads are well sign-posted, so getting lost isn’t an option – somehow we managed to find our way there and back again – maybe not quite the route Lee suggested, but the villages are all so beautiful, and the roads so quiet, that anywhere is good!

There were 10 guests in total, and we did a couple of group rides, led by Lee, to swim in rivers, and stop at coffee/cake shops, or have a picnic.

One of the newer additions to Tri-topia is a heated 25m outdoor lap-pool. Soon after arriving I felt obliged to try it out! Bliss! I was in my element! We did a few early morning swims, but more often swam in the warm afternoon sunshine instead – or just floated on airbeds to keep cool! Underwater swim analysis is available and very interesting!

The weather was lovely. Only rain on Sunday, then hot and sunny, 35 degrees, for the rest of the week – brilliant!

There are marked run routes available for those wishing to do an early morning run before breakfast (or any time – altho’ it was rather hot later in the day). A gym and sauna, plus endless pool, complete the training elements at Tri-topia.

All in all I can honestly say Tri-topia was an excellent base for triathlon training, and an ideal location in which to relax and absorb the laid-back French way of life, and would thoroughly recommend it.

Tri-topia are kindly offering a discount to Exeter Tri Club members, and there is a link to their website on our website’s front page or go to www.tri-topia.com. Do get in touch, they are a lovely family and will ensure your holiday is geared to your needs.

PS: If anyone wants to see some pictures, e:mail me at karengutans@orange.net, or find me on Facebook.

karen
karen

Back to top Go down