Exeter Tri Club - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Race Wheels

2 posters

Go down

Race Wheels Empty Race Wheels

Post  James Norman Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:57 am

Have a giant SCR bought some time ago. The bike itself is still great but the wheels seem to have worn a little as my caretaker said the barings have degraded.
After some advice on what to do.
Can I get a new barings piece and place this is the wheels or is it better/easier to get new wheels. Not got masses to spare to buy with (up to £500) and don't qualify for ride to work scheme.
What are people's views on a good but cheaper set of race wheels and how would they compare to the giant 303's that the bike came with?
I know there are some real experts out there and would really appreciate guidance.

James

James Norman

Back to top Go down

Race Wheels Empty Re: Race Wheels

Post  rac Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:00 pm

If you're happy with your current wheels I suggest attempt to get them repaired? But make sure they are SAFE! If you have worn out the wheel bearings there is a good chance that the rims are worn? Take them to a local bike shop and get their professional opinion.

99% of my cycling miles are done on cheap training wheels. My best wheels are saved for race days and dry summer evenings only. There are several reasons for this approach: firstly you really notice the difference when you change wheels, and secondly I don't want to destroy a set of expensive wheels when riding over Dartmoor on cold wet winter days.

The two sets of training wheels that I'm currently using are Mavic Aksium (~£160) and Campagnolo Khamsin (~£109).

Rich

rac

Back to top Go down