Exeter Tri Club - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First time Aquathlon

4 posters

Go down

First time Aquathlon Empty First time Aquathlon

Post  fleurblackett Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:55 am

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody could shed a little light for me, I cant seem to contact anyone at the club (mobile no. is dead and email returns). Ive registered for the exmouth aquathlon next sunday, but having never done or even witnessed one before I am a little nervous.

I'm only doing the novice version, but am wondering if anybody can tell me the run route. I live in exmouth and would like to practice the exact route at least once.

Also, having tried for the first time today a swim with run straight after, I found it took me 2 1/2 mins to dress. I dont want to invest in a tri-suit just yet, but am assuming long running trousers and long sleeved tops are usually not worn, since it took me so long to get them on and I looked like I was fighting myself in the corner of the changing room...any advice welcomed...just shorts over swimming costume?

Will the transition simply be in the changing rooms?

Lastly the timings of the swim/run? I'm asuming they are staggered. Is there a best time for the novice start?

So many questions...sorry

fleurblackett

Back to top Go down

First time Aquathlon Empty Re: First time Aquathlon

Post  karen Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi Fleur

It'll be my first Aquathon too, but I did go and help at Dawlish to see how it's done!

The run route is: from pool, run along Langerwhe Way, left at the end into Victoria Rd, run along the Esplanade (lovely!), then turn at 2.5k (it'll be marked and marshalled), and run back the same route. Can be a bit windy, but at least it's flat!

The transition area will be set out by the pool (NB: no privacy, just add to what you're already wearing and go!). Swimmers set off in waves according to swim time. Novices go first, and you'll get details this week sometime of your exact start time etc. As soon as you've finished your swim, you walk to the transition area, then as soon as you're ready, off out to do the run!

For a quick transition, just put something on top of your swimsuit (make sure you wear a sports bra underneath your swimsuit if you need one!). Some just slip on shoes and a race belt with their number on, others get dressed! It's up to you, depending on whether you want speed or just to finish! I'm wearing a tri suit, then slipping on shoes (with talc in, no socks), and probably a gilet (with race number attached). T-shirts get a bit tangled when wet, and some people were ripping their numbers off as they tried to put t-shirts on. Have a towel to stand on before putting on shoes, or you may want to towel down a bit too. Again up to you, but the less you have to do, the quicker you'll be. I think the key is to stay calm and not panic!

Roger Brewer is organising the event. You should be able to contact him via this forum. I can't get onto my e:mails at the moment to check his e:mail address - sorry! There's also an Exeter Tri Events page on Facebook, which you may find useful.

Anyway, I hope you have a lovely time! We'll all be nervous, but try to relax and enjoy it! Very Happy

Karen
karen
karen

Back to top Go down

First time Aquathlon Empty Aquathlons

Post  andy evans1 Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:23 am

Fleur.

Re start times-swimmers are put into waves of 12, 2 per lane. You will be allocated a start time later in the week. Aim to arrive at least 45 minutes before your start to register, get changed, have your number marked on arm/leg. I don't know but I imagine the Novice waves will be the first with the fastest full length swimmers going in the last wave.

What you wear depends on your level of modesty and how cold it will be. Women can get away with swimming and running in a normal swim suit if they are so inclined and don't have a tri-suit. I have seen men do these events in speedos and running vest.

You will be warmed up when you get out of the pool so you may not need to wear any additional layers on the run.

I think you can expect there to be some wind along the sea front so decide how likely you are to feel the cold. Like Karen says, the less you have to put on the faster you will be. Don't bother with socks, they are difficult to pull onto wet feet. Put talcum powder or vaseline in your shoes. I usually smear vaseline over my feet too.

If you want to e-mail me with any questions you can evnsandyevans@aol.com

Have fun and enjoy it.

Andy Evans
andy evans1
andy evans1

Back to top Go down

First time Aquathlon Empty RE Aquathlon

Post  Ged Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:34 am

Hi Fleur,
Baseball cap, racebelt speedlaces & Gel 3min before swim, confused Question Laughing

Have a good one, you'll love it Twisted Evil
Ged.
Ged
Ged

Back to top Go down

Post  fleurblackett Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:31 am

Thank you Karen, Andy and Ged...youve all been very helpful.

I still haven't heard anything from anyone. But I'm just going to pop along early to see what the situation is.

Nervous it's going to take me ages to complete, but hey ho, it's all about the taking part : )

fleurblackett

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down