Exeter Tri Club - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outlaw Iron Distance Triathlon, 7.7.13

Go down

Outlaw Iron Distance Triathlon, 7.7.13 Empty Outlaw Iron Distance Triathlon, 7.7.13

Post  karen Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:20 am

Many congratulations to all ETC members who took part in Nottingham's Outlaw Tri at the weekend in extremely hot temperatures. A challenging day by the sounds of it. I take my hat off to all who succeeded in such conditions. Once your fingers have recovered enough to type, I'd love to read your race reports, however brief, or long.

Well done to all, fantastic achievement.

Karenx

PS: Ian T, I enjoyed your report on FB. Please post here for all to see Smile
karen
karen

Back to top Go down

Outlaw Iron Distance Triathlon, 7.7.13 Empty Re: Outlaw Iron Distance Triathlon, 7.7.13

Post  karen Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:16 am

Race Report from 2-time Outlaw finisher Ian Tyers:

'Well, that Outlaw was brutal in the heat. Started well- did 2.4 mile swim in 58 minutes for 12th out of the 1000 or so. Bike was awesome - 112 miles in 5hrs 27. Total of 45 mins up on last year and looking at possible sub 11 hrs.

Then the nonsense started! There was no escaping the furnace. We were exposed constantly but at least I had the pleasure of a lovely volunteer rubbing sun lotion into my thighs People were dropping like flies. It was like the Cambodian Killing Fields. There was no option but to walk loads. Calf cramps kicked in at 15 miles. I was running as fast I could when I heard the commentator announce " And we have a power walker coming through, we'll done Ian". Cheeky bastard, I was nigh on sprinting!

Sub 11 was now well out the window but a pb was on ( sub 11.48). 20 miles to go and that disappeared too when I collapsed and passed out after getting full leg cramps in both legs. I was caught by James Tompson with whom I'd been jogging and chatting quite comfortably with just 10 seconds before. Top man. I was looked after by one of the brilliant marshals until the medics came. There was no way I was not finishing. I was still ahead of a couple of friends and wanted to keep it that way! I assured them I'd walk the rest of the way and they let me go on.

I then had a lovely walk chatting to all the other fellow sufferers. I've never seen anything like it! I passed another guy being tended to whilst laying on a verge and totally exposed to the sun. This 'run' really was going to have to be a walk in the park.

Finished in 12.48 - exactly one hour slower than last year. I went to the medical tent for a check up coz i still wasnt feeling great but left after getting a bit of quick advice coz they were dealing with so many horrific looking cases that were being carried in as I waited.

Amazing job by the volunteers and medics. It was like a scene from MASH! Saw fellow Tri clubber Steve Price who had suffered a debilitating mechanical with his bike but still kept going and became an Outlaw too! Off to get "Death Before DNF" t-shirt I saw a bloke wearing at registration on Saturday! Awesome day; fabulous event; brilliant atmosphere; great company; amazing volunteers and medics.......who wants to join us next year????'

Well done, Ian. Just shows how you have to be both physically and mentally tough to take on an iron-distance. Who's up for the challenge?! Karen
karen
karen

Back to top Go down