Exeter Tri Club - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topsham to Turf Swim

Go down

Topsham to Turf Swim Empty Topsham to Turf Swim

Post  Dave Pee Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:32 pm

This estuary river swim of one and a half miles is a favourite among local Outdoor Swimming Association members. The swim starts at a pub Morris dancers, the town crier and local folk bands coming out to support, and ends at the Turf, a popular local pub that can only be reached via a canal path or water and has a huge garden. Open to last-minute entries – one chap stripping off to his boxers to do it. Money raised for Estuary League of Friends. Originally a race in the 1930s. it was re-established in 2007 (1 swimmer, Mike the ferryman) and had 41 entrants in 2008, which Mike hopes to double in 2009. 15th August, 1.20pm from Topsham Ferry Slip road.

I gave Mike (the Ferryman) a call and he was delighted that Triathletes are taking an interest. I'm going to get down to Topsham and find the ferry and start arera at about 12.30.

Non swimmers can either get the ferry to the other side of the river and walk down to the Turf carryig swimmers kit, or get the boat that goes between Topsham and Turf (abot £4.50 a journey. Once at the Turf the bar will be open and there is usually a pub barbie, so - providing the weather is good it could be a nice place for a chill-out.

I'm planning to be down

Wetsii

Dave Pee

Back to top Go down