Exeter Tri Club - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burgh Island Swim

3 posters

Go down

Burgh Island Swim Empty Burgh Island Swim

Post  Stuart McLay Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:53 am

Hi,

Looking for some advice, hints and tips for swimming around Burgh Island. Looking to make the swim next week. Just wondering if anyone has info on best tides, direction to swim, anything to watch out for etc. Basically anything to ensure I make it back to the beach!

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Stuart McLay

Back to top Go down

Burgh Island Swim Empty Re: Burgh Island Swim

Post  Pinky Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi there

I would say start at the front, try and get in a small group, and draft off some feet if there are some just a touch faster than you. Stay close to the rocks, some will say go through (if you dare) but you don't need to as long as you keep them close. Keep a keen eye on the Island, and try to 'hug' it as a reference to your sighting. Don't be tempted to follow others, as many seem to go too wide and then have to come all the way back in towards the end.

It was quite rough the year I did it, which gives me the edge, I work better in the choppy water. If it is choppy (to a point, even if it isn't) swim 'open water' style, shorted your reach a fraction. If the water is up and down, and you reach long (or try to glide as you would in a pool), you may find that your hand/arm goes through the water and out the other side. Get your hand in, push down hard, and pull through to the thigh for a strong finish. Head up every 3-4 strokes to realign yourself as the Island curves.

Most important, have fun!!

Pinks

(P.s. I won the womens event a couple of years ago, came second overall (although they bodged all the times up, so I never found out what it really was, nice medal though)... these are the things that worked for me...

Pinky

Back to top Go down

Burgh Island Swim Empty burgh island

Post  Stuart McLay Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:39 pm

Thanks Pinks,

Sounds like your plan worked! Next week is not a race just me and a buddy, unless you know something i don't? Do you remember what sorry of tide you did the swim on and which direction you swam around.

Thanks for tips.

Stuart McLay

Back to top Go down

Post  nick bridge Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi,

if it's not the organised swim, guessing not as Hotel's one was in August and Chestnut appeal one in Sept. I would suggest direction wise go round so the island is on your left, though does not matter to much. Try going on the flooding incoming tide, an hour or 2 after low water as will give you a push on the way back and then best bit going through the rock passages is definitely doable. Gets a bit more interesting if there is a swell running! Before you set off pop in and see the lifeguards (if they are there, may have finished for season) in there tower overlooking Bigbury bay to let them know you are doing it and estimated time you will be back, they will then keep an eye out etc. As you are heading back towards the beach you will see a rock outcrop out to your right with a marker post on it, I go between that rock and the island as otherwise you end up towards where the river channel comes out.

Is a good fun swim, but check magic seaweed surf forecast before you go to make sure there is not a big swell or surf that day.

Nick

nick bridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Stuart McLay Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:14 pm

Fantastic thanks Nick, great info, looking forward to it, weather permitting.

Cheers

Stuart

Stuart McLay

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinky Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Great advice from Nick, prob better than mine - more practical than my race tactics... Sorry, wasn't aware it wasn't for a race, I'm living outside the UK, so not on top of things these days.

Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down